Re opening the FORUM

La Reine Margot
Site Admin

Re opening the FORUM

Post by La Reine Margot »

Well, well, well...

The FORUM is almost all set up.

We encountered a few problems which are preventing us from re setting the old posts and members. It should be quick and painless, but it is not and for one simple reason.

We can't make the old database work the way it should and that's because when the Forum went offline there was no way for me to access it and make a backup. I don't mean a backup of the entire site, which I have, but a backup of the db, which is necessary to make the connections quick and painless.

We tried a number of things but they didn't work.

candorville.jpeg
candorville.jpeg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 3342 times

So, we have to go the slow way, which means, we have to basically import them by hand and get them to work.

However, rather than to import the member's list maybe it is better if people register again.

I mean, that would be a way for all of ya to participate in the reconstruction, right?

We'll work on some of the posts, those are very strange files, and see if they reconnect. We have to have the map all set, which means, all the forums from before, where those posts were, so they can find their way.

So, now the Forum is officially open, people can register and post, the old posts will begin to re appear as we work on them.

Be free to create new topics and so on.

Some limitations will be obvious, for now, size of files, for instance, while we work this out. I'll have more information regarding this.
Damian

Re: Re opening the FORUM

Post by Damian »

Thanks for all the hard work Margot and all the others involved, having to re-register is a pain but no big deal, hope things get back to "normal" soon and we again see some of the great threads with great material. Damian
yyy02

Post by yyy02 »

La Reine Margot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 am ...So, now the Forum is officially open, people can register and post, the old posts will begin to re appear as we work on them.

Be free to create new topics and so on...
I take it we're all waiting to see which topics re-link?

And I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the Forum members for their contributions. I'll try not to thank everyone each time a post appears, to try and keep the Forum as uncluttered as possible, even though I feel it lends the Forum more of a "human" touch. Just know that all contributions are appreciated.

Perhaps it is time for a "like" button, in lieu of thank-you posts?

Or was it just the image posts and all the bots causing all the problems?

Sorry I don't know much about keeping a Forum clean and nurtured. Perhaps the Forum could keep thumbnails that link to another repository for the full-size images? Or would that require too much additional work to create and link the thumbnails?
wulf

Post by wulf »

yyy02 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:34 pm
La Reine Margot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:29 am ...So, now the Forum is officially open, people can register and post, the old posts will begin to re appear as we work on them.

And I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the Forum members for their contributions. I'll try not to thank everyone each time a post appears, to try and keep the Forum as uncluttered as possible, even though I feel it lends the Forum more of a "human" touch. Just know that all contributions are appreciated.

Sorry I don't know much about keeping a Forum clean and nurtured. Perhaps the Forum could keep thumbnails that link to another repository for the full-size images? Or would that require too much additional work to create and link the thumbnails?
I agree that a 'like' button would help. Repeating thank you posts does add clutter, and sort of loses its meaning after so many times.
Slave Rule #1- No matter how bad the pain is, it can always get worse
cluseb

Post by cluseb »

I like the idea of a "like" button. Perhaps one guests could use. something like ( registered likes / guest likes )
Damian

Post by Damian »

yyy02 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Hear, hear and possibly some reaction buttons too! :)
doe.1971

Post by doe.1971 »

I have a little confusion about the structure of the new place. Is there a section intended for original content, like VoD used to be? I'm not sure where Art Contribution section is situated. A few topics already look like crux, more of a 'found on the internet' kind of tumbler, which is fine but have the disadvantage of sending the author topics in the second or third page in less than a day .... the folks at crux tried to systematize this and instead they ended with three locations destined for this purpose, heh. Couldn't figure it out there, hope it's better delimitated here, since all it's new and shiny ... not that I have anything about thematic 'found on the internet' topic, not at all ... it just would be great to have a VoD -like corner where you can brag about your PC specs, new 3D props, things that 'creators' like to chat about. :)
wjhk93

Post by wjhk93 »

Pulptoon had or has a like button were any members click on like it shows their user name at bottom of the post.
If that's what you meant there one issue with that is members that never post anything would not likely to click on the like button either. For same reason they don't post anything they're paranoid about being identified.
I'm open to adding like button but you just may not see the results you're looking for. Will Burner