La Reine Margot
Site Admin

Art Contributions and new rules

Post by La Reine Margot »

Yes we'll be setting up new rules.
Damian

Re: Art Contributions and new rules

Post by Damian »

Great to see the GIMP back, now if we could show likes etc, I for one would like it more!
bleumune

Post by bleumune »

La Reine Margot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:44 pm Yes we'll be setting up new rules.
Which I support whole-heartedly. There's just no recovery when sloppy posting practices run the site out of storage capacity. But it looks like the rules are needed sooner rather than later, unless you have some master plan to apply the rules retroactively. I'm holding off posting anything until I see something from you, Margot, giving us the go-ahead with the guidelines within which we need to do our posting.

Again, many thanks for your efforts at resurrecting this site (AGAIN!).

bleumune
wulf

Post by wulf »

bleumune wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:39 pm
La Reine Margot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:44 pm Yes we'll be setting up new rules.
Which I support whole-heartedly. There's just no recovery when sloppy posting practices run the site out of storage capacity. But it looks like the rules are needed sooner rather than later, unless you have some master plan to apply the rules retroactively. I'm holding off posting anything until I see something from you, Margot, giving us the go-ahead with the guidelines within which we need to do our posting.

bleumune
Yes, that makes two of us.
Slave Rule #1- No matter how bad the pain is, it can always get worse
La Reine Margot
Site Admin

Post by La Reine Margot »

bleumune wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:39 pm

bleumune

There are rules in place right now. No more than three pictures per post and pictures cannot be bigger than 1 mb. Which should come down. Those rules are set in the board settings, so they cannot be broken.

In the previous forum there was no limit to size of pictures so we ended up with posts that were as big as 96 mb. That's huuuuuuuge.

One problem for some people, like Ralphus, is that the 1 mb limit prevents him from posting gifs, like he enjoys doing. However, there's a solution. Store those gifs in a separate directory, outside the Forum.

There's such place. We have the 'database' directory, which should be named something else to avoid confusion, where there are plenty of gifs stored, like the one below:

That picture is inside the afore mentioned directory, which contains a great number of gifs and the total size is only 1.45 gigas.

The entire ralphus.net site is 54.42 gigas.

The 'files' directory where all the pictures and posts from the previous forum are located is 31.68 gigas.

Recovering all of those pictures and posts to put them in this forum is kind of dangerous. We're working out an alternative, if at all possible.

Going over every one of those posts is impossible, they are not readable as raw files, unlike html files.

Example:

This is what a file posted recently looks like

FilesScreenShot20210926143852.jpg

This is how a file from the previous forum looks like after we uploaded to a temp directory:

FilesScreenShot20210926144132.jpg

This is how the files look in our computers

FilesScreenShot20210926145047.jpg

The php forum works with data, when that data suffers an alteration it gets corrupted.

More later.
wjhk93

Post by wjhk93 »

I miss not be able to post my bats gif, but like I use to in old gimp forum just post address of my gifs: http://www.stakedamsels.com/forum/downl ... &mode=view at SD forum here. Will Burner