Bleumune

Anything goes! Except SPAM!
Any and and all subjects are discussed here.

Moderator: Ralphus

doe.1971

Re: Bleumune

Post#11 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 pm

La Reine Margot wrote:It took me weeks to set this up and it will take me weeks to upgrade it and add stuff... or re-design stuff or create a complete new system all together. :lol:

Take your time, I just try to justify why I was for a structured forum rather than the board even before it got hacked. Because in my mind it wouldn't be any difference in functionality from the old board. And I understand when people think now it's too scattered and hard to keep track if not given the choice of a feed-like scrolling of what's new. But that's what I thought at the time, what's feasable possible with a limited resources, that's a different story.

As for keeping automated bots at bay, wouldn't solving a captcha get rid of them? I know it would be an extra step to post something but I wouldn't mind it if it makes your life easier.

Finally, I mean no criticism of your efforts, rest assured. Volunteer work is always appreciated work in my book.

Coolbrez

Post#12 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:18 pm

Well, I for one appreciate all of the effort you put into keeping us up and running. I have done a few web pages in the past, and I know the work required. I don't know how you get more people to comment, but if you had emoticons similar to FB, at least you would have some interaction with people and know that you are being appreciated, albeit silently.

La Reine Margot
Site Admin

Post#13 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:26 am

doe.1971 wrote:As for keeping automated bots at bay, wouldn't solving a captcha get rid of them? I know it would be an extra step to post something but I wouldn't mind it if it makes your life easier.

Finally, I mean no criticism of your efforts, rest assured. Volunteer work is always appreciated work in my book.

The spammers never go beyond registration, that's where they get deleted, banned, destroyed, blacklisted, and so on. There's a captcha set up to register, which the bots either are intelligent enough to go through, or their capabilities make it possible for them to bypass it.

Their behavior is very interesting. Sometimes, to fool me, they use proxy IPs, by mounting one of the registered IPs. That is very intriguing to me. ALL the new registration attempts suddenly have the SAME IP!

Other times they use a gmail address to still try to get in. Most of the time they try registering with proxy emails... Like I said, they are tenacious.

None Shall Pass

doe.1971

Post#14 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:00 pm

La Reine Margot wrote:The spammers never go beyond registration, that's where they get deleted, banned, destroyed, blacklisted, and so on. There's a captcha set up to register, which the bots either are intelligent enough to go through, or their capabilities make it possible for them to bypass it.

There's a network to help each other go through those human checks. They only pass to each others the captcha boxes, to be solved by whoever is available. One of the great deterrants Ralphus found was asking a question like 'What is our domain?' and bots were failing en masse to respond 'ralphus.net' because that information was not passed in the captcha solving network. Ask the man.

frog

Post#15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:00 pm

La Reine Margot wrote:
doe.1971 wrote:As for keeping automated bots at bay, wouldn't solving a captcha get rid of them? I know it would be an extra step to post something but I wouldn't mind it if it makes your life easier.

The spammers never go beyond registration, that's where they get deleted, banned, destroyed, blacklisted, and so on. There's a captcha set up to register, which the bots either are intelligent enough to go through, or their capabilities make it possible for them to bypass it.

Their behavior is very interesting. Sometimes, to fool me, they use proxy IPs, by mounting one of the registered IPs. That is very intriguing to me. ALL the new registration attempts suddenly have the SAME IP!

Other times they use a gmail address to still try to get in. Most of the time they try registering with proxy emails... Like I said, they are tenacious.

None Shall Pass
I am a perfect idiot regarding all this technical stuff, so the only thing I can do is to thank you for all your hard work. Sometimes I wonder why you do it, how can you keep up the stamina to keep this place safe. The Raft of the Medusa https://img1.etsystatic.com/137/0/93033 ... 3_2tek.jpg is still afloat thanks to your efforts.
I only hope your "No pasaran" works this time not like in Madrid during the Spanish Civil War. I wonder why the attackers are so tenacious when they have juicier targets to attack.

skullchaser

Post#16 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:11 pm

La Reine Margot wrote:
There's Quick Links up in the menu, next to Notifications. You can see a list of preferences, one is Newest posts, or unanswered posts and so on.

I was checking with XenForo, as an option. Costs money and I don't know if that will change things much. A bit, not a lot unless along with XenForo a master web designer is hired as a full time employe.

It took me weeks to set this up and it will take me weeks to upgrade it and add stuff... or re-design stuff or create a complete new system all together. :lol: Which I could if I didn't have to prepare the work I'm doing for a famous university... in Europe... a massive expo for the end of next year. It takes two years to prepare.

I'm also checking a combination of software that can help create the kind of site that existed previously. Not an easy task. In the meantime... just enjoy... while it lasts... I'm fighting off spammers and hackers wannabes on a daily basis... really, they are so, so... so unrelenting. Most of them ferocious bots. I already memorized their proxy systems... weird. Some are so obvious and some not so much, but they are all obstinate.

I for one thank you for your efforts to keep this board going. There really isn't much of an all-encompassing forum out there for fans of merciless peril, old "B" movies, horror, sci-fi, crime dramas, bondage classics, new movies, and such. This forum captures all of the galaxy for our enjoyment. So, thank you!
Thomas Chaser

yyy02

Post#17 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:28 pm

frog wrote:I wonder why the attackers are so tenacious when they have juicier targets to attack.

I really think they go after everyone, so in a way they are "equal opportunity". After all it's usually only a matter of a few keystrokes.

doe.1971

Post#18 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:34 pm

yyy02 wrote:I really think they go after everyone, so in a way they are "equal opportunity". After all it's usually only a matter of a few keystrokes.

They are. That's why 'they' had no clue what's the domain they were traying to spam. It's a big business out there, in a rather darwinian spirit. New defenses are met with new ways of attack.

wulf

Post#19 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:48 am

La Reine Margot wrote:
None Shall Pass

I join the others in giving thanks to you for what you do for this forum. To say I appreciate you would be a gross understatement. :)
Gimp fact of life #1; No matter how bad it is, it can and will, get worse.

BobDarkroom

Post#20 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:58 am

La Reine Margot wrote:None Shall Pass

Thanks Reine Margot for your time and efforts to keep this site spam free!

Return to “Open Discussion”